When a car accident occurs, victims are often unsure about their rights and what their next steps should be.
This is why accident victims should strongly consider scheduling a free, no-obligation legal consultation with a Macon car accident lawyer. In this meeting, you can discuss the accident and your injuries with an attorney who can explain your rights and ways to pursue compensation for medical expenses and other damages.
If you were injured in a car accident, the Macon car accident attorneys at Roden Law Firm are prepared to investigate and build a strong case as we pursue all of the compensation you deserve. We have more than 10 years of experience successfully recovering compensation for those injured in many types of car accidents. This includes a $1.5 million settlement for someone who suffered a personal injury in a head-on collision. If we take your case, we will represent you on a contingency fee basis. This means you will not be charged legal fees unless you receive compensation.
Contact us today to find out if we can help you. Complete a Free Case Evaluation form.
Types of Case We Handle
Our experienced Macon car accident lawyers handle cases involving a wide variety of accidents. This includes accidents where the victims were not in a traditional passenger vehicle, such as bus accidents, bicycle accidents and pedestrian crashes.
Other types of cases we take on include:
- Hit-and-run accidents – Even though it is illegal to leave the scene of an auto accident, it continues to happen throughout Georgia. Victims of hit-and-run car accidents in Macon can greatly benefit from hiring an attorney because these cases can be much more complicated than those involving many other types of accidents.
- Parking lot crashes –These often involve pedestrians who are hit when a car backs up into them. There are also crashes where one car hits another because the driver was speeding or not paying attention.
- Drowsy driving crashes – These are accidents caused by drivers who fell asleep at the wheel or were too tired to safely operate a motor vehicle. Unfortunately, many drivers do not get enough sleep or are jet lagged or fatigued from being behind the wheel for several hours because they are on a road trip.
- Rollover crashes – These are accidents where one or more of the vehicles involved in the accident are flipped onto their sides or turned upside down. Rollover crashes are extremely dangerous no matter where they happen because drivers have no control over their vehicles. However, the risk of serious injury or death increases when these crashes occur on highways and interstates at high speeds.
- Head-on collisions – These are often the result of one car heading the wrong way, resulting in a collision between the front ends of two vehicles. The impact from such a collision creates a high risk of severe or life-threatening injury. The drivers who cause head-on collisions are often drunk, distracted or drowsy.
- Rear-end accidents – These often happen at intersections or stop signs. These crashes are usually caused by one driver following another too closely and not being able to stop before crashing into the lead car's bumper. Rear-end accidents are sometimes referred to as fender benders. However, even at relatively slow speed, rear-end accidents can cause soft-tissue injuries like whiplash that could take months to recover from.
- Side-impact collisions – This is a crash where one car hits the side of another, which often causes serious injuries because the side of a vehicle is not built to handle an impact the way the front or rear of a vehicle is.
- Drunk driving collisions – This includes accidents involving drivers who have been drinking or have taken legal or illegal drugs that impair their ability to drive. These substances can impair judgment, vision and the ability to handle more than one task at the same time, all of which can significantly increase the risk of an accident.
- Distracted driving accidents – Many drivers take their focus off the road to engage in many activities like texting or talking on a cellphone, talking to passengers, changing the radio station, eating, or grooming. This has caused an increase in distracted driving accidents in recent years.
If you were injured in these or any other type of car accident, contact our Macon car accident attorneys today for a free consultation.
Fill out a Free Case Evaluation form today.
Common Injuries from Car Accidents
Even car accidents that do not seem very dangerous can cause severe injuries that could affect you for months of years. Some of these injuries include:
- Concussions and other traumatic brain injuries
- Fractures, particularly in the arms and legs
- Internal bleeding
- Spinal cord injuries, including paralysis
- Herniated discs
- Chest contusions
These injuries and others that occur in car accidents can cause physical and emotional issues that can make it difficult to work and perform daily activities. Some of these symptoms include:
- Vision problems
- Problems with memory
- Severe headaches
- Neck pain
- Nausea and vomiting
- Sleep disturbances
- Personality changes
- Limited mobility
- Poor balance and dizziness
Our experienced Macon car accident lawyers understand how difficult it can be to manage these and other symptoms of an auto accident injury. That is why we are prepared to pursue compensation to help you manage these and other damages caused by your injury.
Call an experienced lawyer today at 1-844-RESULTS.
Compensation for a Car Accident
There are various forms of compensation available for victims of car accidents, including:
Treating and managing the symptoms of a car accident can quickly become very expensive. Fortunately, our Macon car accident attorneys may be able to obtain compensation for all medical expenses from the treatment of your injury, such as:
- Ambulance rides to the hospital
- Medical testing, like x-rays, MRIs and blood testing
- Medical equipment to aid in your recovery, such as a wheelchair or crutches
- Prescription medications to manage symptoms
- Visits to doctors for treatment
- Physical therapy appointments
Car accident victims are often forced to miss time at work because they are receiving treatment or have physical or mental limitations that make it impossible for them to do their jobs. Fortunately, our Macon car accident attorneys may be able to obtain compensation to make up for the wages you lost when you missed work because of your injury.
A car accident can cause serious damage to your car. In some cases, the car will be a total loss and you will be unable to save it. In either case, damage to your vehicle could leave you with no way to get to work and earn a living.
Fortunately, no matter how damaged your car is after the crash, our attorneys can pursue compensation to cover repair bills or the fair market value of the vehicle.
Pain and Suffering
Our Macon car accident lawyers understand that car accident injuries can affect many aspects of your life. While medical expenses, property damage and lost wages are probably the first things that come to mind when you think about compensation, we may also be able to pursue compensation for emotional and psychological damages. These can include things like depression, anxiety, sleeplessness and loss of enjoyment of leisure activities caused by the accident.
We understand the challenge of proving the pain and suffering you are experiencing and determining an appropriate monetary value, as there are no bills or receipts. Fortunately, we have more than 10 years of experience doing these things. We know how to compile strong evidence so you receive fair compensation for all of the pain and suffering you experience.
Schedule a free legal consultation to find out if we can pursue compensation in your case.
How Our Attorneys Can Pursue Compensation
Car accidents in Georgia are governed by tort-liability laws. This is also referred to as a fault-based system. This means that our Macon car accident lawyers have three options for pursuing the compensation you are entitled:
- Filing an insurance claim with the at-fault driver's insurance company
- Filing an insurance claim with your insurance company
- Filing a personal injury lawsuit
Most car accident cases are handled through an insurance claim. State law says that the first place victims must seek compensation from is the at-fault driver's insurance company.
There are two required coverages we can attempt to draw compensation from:
- Bodily injury liability – Under state law, every driver must carry at least $25,000 in coverage for each person injured in an accident. Drivers must also have $50,000 in coverage for each accident. This covers medical expenses and lost wages from an accident caused by the insured.
- Property damage liability – Drivers must carry $25,000 in coverage for every accident, at minimum. This pays for vehicle and other property damage caused by the insured.
We can also pursue compensation from your car insurance policy, depending on what coverages you purchased. If you only have the minimum required coverage, your policy likely does not provide any coverage for the damages you suffered in the accident.
If you have one of the following types of coverage, you may be able to obtain additional compensation:
- Uninsured motorist coverage – Unfortunately, many drivers do not purchase the required car insurance coverage. That is why many drivers purchase coverage for accidents with uninsured drivers. This covers your medical expenses, lost wages and property damage from the crash.
- Collision coverage – This covers damage to your vehicle in the crash. While the law does not require this coverage, it may be required by a lender if you have to finance your car.
- Medical and funeral services – This pays your medical expenses from the accident. This coverage also pays for reasonable funeral expenses if the policyholder is killed in the crash.
Personal Injury Lawsuit
In some cases, the injuries you sustained are so serious that we need to file a personal injury lawsuit to obtain the compensation you deserve. We can pursue the same forms of compensation as we would in an insurance claim plus additional forms of compensation, such as pain and suffering.
We often file lawsuits when the insurance claims process is unsuccessful. This could mean that the insurance company unfairly denied your claim or offered compensation that was less than you deserve. Our goal is to obtain all of the compensation you deserve, and that is why we are fully prepared to go through the full lawsuit process to obtain the compensation you are entitled.
Our Macon car accident lawyers will carefully review your case to determine the best way to pursue compensation for your accident. We are committed to making the decision that is in your best interest.
Contact an attorney today for a free, no obligation legal consultation. 1-844-RESULTS
Advantages of Working with an Attorney
There is no law saying that you must work with an attorney when pursuing compensation for a car accident injury. However, there are many benefits to hiring a Macon car accident attorney after a crash. Review them below to discover why you should strongly consider using an attorney.
We Use a Contingency Fee Arrangement
At Roden Law Firm, our car accident lawyers represent cases on a contingency fee basis. This means your initial consultation with one of our skilled lawyers is 100 percent free. If we determine you have a case and you choose to pursue it, we will not charge for our services unless you receive compensation.
Many people assume that it will cost too much to hire a Macon car accident attorney and they cannot afford it. However, our firm uses this arrangement so potential clients do not have to worry about the cost of retaining a lawyer.
We Will Investigate the Crash
Our attorneys understand how to thoroughly investigate a car crash to collect important evidence that can help us build a strong case. Not only can this evidence help show that the other driver is at fault, it can also help us determine an accurate value of the damages you suffered.
We are prepared to take the following steps to investigate your accident:
- Interview witnesses to get more details about the accident
- Take pictures at the scene of the crash
- Take pictures of your injuries
- Obtain medical records documenting your treatment
- Talk to medical experts to get a better understanding of the severity of your injuries
- Explain how you can help us document pain and suffering damages
We Will Handle the Insurance Company
It is best to file an insurance claim right away after an accident. Our Macon car accident lawyers can then handle all future communication with the insurance company. This is because we know how to protect your rights when talking to insurers. We have many years of combined experience dealing with insurance companies and know how to fight back against their attempts to deny or devalue your claim.
We Will Make Sure Laws are Used Correctly
There are numerous laws that could apply to your claim. For example, one of the important parts of your case may be that the other driver violated a traffic law and this was one of the main reasons the accident occurred.
Georgia also has a modified comparative negligence law, which prohibits accident victims from recovering any compensation if they are more than 50 percent at fault for the crash. The law also states that if you are less than 50 percent responsible, your total compensation award will be reduced by your percentage of fault for the crash. This means that an award of $100,000 would be reduced to $60,000 if you are determined to be 40 percent at fault. This law is applied in court and sometimes by insurance companies.
The Macon car accident lawyers at our firm have detailed knowledge of these and other laws that affect your claim. We will use our knowledge to try to make sure these laws are applied fairly to your claim and are not used to deny you the compensation you deserve.
To learn more about the benefits of working with one of our attorneys, complete a Free Case Evaluation form.
What Steps Should I Take After the Crash
While our Macon car accident lawyers are prepared to manage every aspect of your case, there are certain things you can do right after the crash that could help your case.
Photos are an important piece of evidence that provide a visual representation of the aftermath of an accident and can help in determining the cause of the crash. Make sure to photograph all vehicles and any property damage, such as damaged railings, skid marks or debris in the roadway. You should also take pictures of any visible injuries.
Obtain Medical Treatment
Your health and safety is the number one priority after a car accident. You should obtain treatment as soon as possible, even if you do not think your injuries are that serious. A qualified medical professional needs to examine you to identify all of your injuries and begin treatment.
Obtain Copies of Your Medical Records
Medical records are some of the most important pieces of evidence in a car accident case. They are documented proof of the injuries you suffered in the crash and their severity.
That is why we recommend trying to obtain all of the medical records you can related to your treatment, such as:
- The chart documenting your emergency room visit
- Paramedic reports
- Discharge form from the hospital
- Test results from x-rays and CT scans
- Prescriptions from doctors
- Doctors' notes from visits
- Physical therapy evaluations
If you are able, you should also try to obtain copies of your records from before the crash, such as your last physical or blood test results. This shows your medical condition before the accident, which we can compare to your records from after the accident. This helps us prove that your current condition is the result of the accident and not some preexisting medical issue.
File an Insurance Claim
The insurance company may have a deadline for filing a claim so you should do so as soon as possible so you do not miss it. Most car accident cases are resolved through insurance claims so it is crucial to file a claim right away.
However, when talking to the insurance company, stick to the basic facts about the accident. You just want to explain that you were in an accident and are receiving treatment. Our Macon car accident attorneys can handle all future communication with the insurance company to help defend your rights.
Obtain Proof of Lost Wages
Ask your employer to write a letter listing the days and times you missed work because of your injury and your rate of pay. This will allow us to determine the value of your lost wages claim.
Keep a Daily Journal
You should take time every day to write down how your injuries are affecting you physically and emotionally. This will help us when we are trying to value your pain and suffering.
When you contact our Macon car accident lawyers, we can explain any other steps you can take to help us as we pursue fair compensation for all of your damages.
Fill out a Free Case Evaluation form right now.
When Should I Contact an Attorney?
This is one of the common questions accident victims have in the hours and days following an accident. The answer to this question is simple: contact us as soon as possible. The sooner you contact us, the sooner we can begin investigating and pursuing the compensation you deserve.
Another reason to contact us right away is there is a limited amount of time to file a lawsuit if your insurance claim is unsuccessful. This is because of the statute of limitations, a law that sets a deadline for filing a personal injury lawsuit.
In Georgia, the deadline for personal injury lawsuits, including those stemming from car accidents is two years from the date of the accident. If you do not file a claim within that time, you lose the right to do so.
You may think that two years is plenty of time to file a lawsuit but some of this time can be taken up pursuing insurance compensation. In most cases, we will not attempt to negotiate compensation until your treatment concludes, which could take several months.
Contacting us sooner gives us more time to investigate and build a strong case that could help us obtain the fair compensation you deserve. This also helps ensure we are able to file your lawsuit before the statute of limitations runs out.
Schedule a free legal consultation today.
Contact a Macon Car Accident Lawyer Right Now
A car accident can have a devastating effect on many aspects of your life, creating significant medical expenses, causing you to miss work, and having psychological and emotional effects.
The Macon car accident attorneys at Roden Law Firm understand this and are ready to go to work for you, investigating and building a case for why you are entitled to compensation for the damages you have suffered.
We offer a free, no obligation legal consultation to review your situation and determine if you have grounds for a claim. If we take your case, we will do so on contingency, so there will be no fees unless you receive compensation.