Spinal cord injuries can cause a victim to suffer devasting injuries that may forever affect the course of his or her life. These types of injuries often require extensive medical treatment that can put a toll on a person’s financial situation.
If you or someone that you love has suffered a spinal cord injury and belive that you may have a valid case, we encourage you to schedule a free consultation to discuss your situation with a Charleston spinal cord injury attorney at our law firm today.
Find out if you have a case. Ph: 1-844-RESULTS
Can I Pursue Compensation for My Spinal Cord Injury?
If your spinal cord injury was the result of another person or entity’s negligence, you may have a viable case to pursue compensation. Proving negligence played a role, however, is a difficult task.
The four elements of negligence we need to help establish include the following:
- A duty of care was present – We must first establish that the at-fault party had a legal duty to act in a manner that would prevent harm to you and to others.
- There was a breach of duty – This determines that the at-fault party failed to act in a reasonable way by either being negligent, reckless or careless.
- The breach caused your injury – Your lawyer must also be able to prove that the at-fault party’s actions was the direct cause of your injury. If the at-fault party managed the situation differently, your injury would not have occurred.
- You suffered damages – Lastly, we must be able to prove that you suffered damages, like medical expenses or emotional trauma as a result of your injury.
Call us to set up your free consultation at 1-844-RESULTS.
What Is the Value of My Case?
Spinal cord injuries may require many sessions with a doctor and other medical services that are typically hefty in costs. These types of injuries can also be devasting because of the immense life changes a victim may experience.
If you have a valid case, your attorney may be able to pursue these out-of-pocket expenses, plus the non-economic damages you may have suffered. These types of damages include:
- Costs of surgery
- Disability or disfigurement
- Home modifications (ramps, widened hallways)
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of earning capacity
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of reputation
- Lost wages from missing work
- Medical care equipment
- Mental anguish
- Past, current and future medical costs
- Physical pain and suffering
- Physical therapy
- Prescription medication
- Transportation costs to appointments
Is There a Time Limit to Pursue Compensation?
If you are considering filing a claim to pursue compensation, it is important that you act as soon as possible. This is because personal injury claims in South Carolina have a two-year time limit. Claims filed after this deadline run the risk of a court dismissal and being unable to pursue compensation.
However, because each spinal cord injury case is unique, there may be certain exceptions that exist to allow you to file before or after the two-year deadline. Therefore it is important to speak to an experienced attorney from our firm to learn about which time frame may apply to your situation.
How Can a Lawyer from Roden Law Help?
Spinal cord injuries demand a lot of medical attention and time to recover. Taking legal action on top of these demands can be stressful and potentially delay a victim’s recovery process.
At Roden Law, we understand how difficult this time may be for you. That is why if you have a valid case, we are ready to help manage the legal process for you. If you work with one of our Charleston spinal cord injury attorneys, we may be able to handle the following on your behalf:
- Investigate the accident – We are ready to thoroughly investigate the accident to determine how your injury occurred, such as reconstructing the scene and speaking with key witnesses.
- Collect supportive evidence – It is important to have evidence to build a strong case, such as pictures, medical records and police reports connecting your injuries to the accident.
- Determine value of your case – Our experience with similar spinal cord injury cases could help us determine the value of your damages to pursue maximum compensation for you.
- Handle all communication – Back and forth communication with insurance companies and other involved parties is a part of the process. We could handle all communication with these parties as insurance companies tend to use tactics to try to devalue or deny claims.
- Negotiate for a fair settlement – We are experienced negotiators. If we cannot reach a fair settlement with the insurance company, we are prepared to head to trial, if it is necessary.
Learn more about how we may be able to help. We are available 24 hours a day, seven days week and are ready to help set up an appointment whenever it is convenient for you.
Reach out to us at 1-844-RESULTS
Steps to Take After a Spinal Cord Injury
After experiencing a spinal cord injury, there are some essential steps you can take to help protect your well-being and strengthen your claim, such as:
- Seek immediate medical attention – Spinal cord injuries are often severe. It is important to see a doctor as soon as you are injured so that you may avoid further injury. Your doctor will also provide important documentation that will help connect the accident to your injury.
- Follow your doctor’s instructions – It is important to follow all of your doctor’s instructions, such as if he or she suggests that you take off from work for a period of time. Failure to do so may indicate to insurance companies that your injuries are not as serious as you claim.
- Keep track of documentation – This means all documentation that your doctor provides, including receipts. If an accident report was filed, be sure to get a copy for your records.
- Contact an attorney – Although there is no guarantee that working with a lawyer will secure compensation, it could increase your chances of building a strong case for compensation.
Why Spinal Cord Injuries Happen
Spinal cord injuries may happen from several different accidents, such as:
- Workplace injuries
- Boating accidents
- Sports accidents
- Acts of violence
Reach Out to Our Charleston Spinal Cord Injury Attorneys
At Roden Law, we understand that the aftermath of a spinal cord injury accident can be just as traumatic as the accident itself. If you have a valid case, we want to ease the burden of the legal process by providing the resources you need to build a strong case.
We offer a free, no-obligation consultation to discuss your options and do not charge for our services unless we help you win compensation.