When Should You Hire an Attorney After Being in an Accident?
Being involved in an accident can be an overwhelming experience. Depending upon the circumstances involved and the severity of your injuries, you may feel as if your life has been turned upside down. You may need significant, ongoing medical treatment. You may find yourself unable to work. Many of the activities you used to enjoy regularly may no longer be possible because of your injuries. Adjusting and adapting to this situation you didn't ask for and never wanted can be a lot to handle.
If you feel this way, you should know that it is understandable and normal. You may wonder if you're entitled to compensation for your injuries – and if so, what steps you should take to seek that compensation. You may have arrived at this page wondering when you should hire an attorney after being in an accident? If so, it’s a good question to ask, and one that arises frequently.
There are a few elements that might factor into your decision, including:
- The Circumstances of Your Accident: Perhaps your accident was very minor. It happened quickly and was resolved quickly, and you've generally moved forward without lasting consequences. In that case, you may decide you aren't quite ready to hire an attorney, and that's understandable. In cases where the accident was more complicated, more severe, and with more significant consequences, you may want to reach out to an attorney quickly.
- The Extent of Your Injuries: Fortunately, there are some occasions when accidents happen and no one is significantly injured. If that is the case in your particular situation, you may not feel that hiring an attorney immediately is necessary. You should, however, seek a medical evaluation, regardless. Sometimes, there can be internal injuries that don’t manifest themselves right away. Having a trained medical professional examine you for these types of injuries is always important and advised.
Ultimately, every situation is different, and your journey will be different from anyone else's. Generally, however, it is better to seek legal help sooner rather than later. There are a few reasons for this:
- Statute of Limitations: Accident claims have a statute of limitations – or time limit – within which the case must be filed. You don’t want this time limit to run out. While statutes of limitation will vary from state to state, all accident claims have time limits, and when the time has passed, it will be too late to file your claim. Seeking the assistance of a knowledgeable and experienced attorney as soon as possible will help you to avoid this pitfall.
- Gathering Evidence: As most of us know, the more time that passes, the more our memories can fade. This is true in life, and in legal cases. Filing your claim as soon as possible increases your chances that the evidence you need to support your claim will be more readily available. Gathering medical records, photographs, eyewitness testimony, and other valuable evidence is best done sooner rather than later.
- Moving Forward: Most accident victims are ready to move on and move forward – and that’s completely understandable. Being in an accident is a stressful and overwhelming experience. Most people want to seek and receive the treatment they need and move on to a better chapter ahead as soon as possible. Finding the right lawyer as soon as possible will help you make progress toward that goal.
If you’ve considered all of these factors and you feel that you’re ready to find a talented legal team who can help you seek the compensation you need and deserve, at Roden Law, we’re here for you.
RODEN LAW – YOUR DEDICATED LEGAL TEAM
If you have been involved in an accident, and you’ve been injured through no fault of your own, you may be entitled to compensation, and you deserve a legal team on your side who will fight for you. At Roden Law, we promise to do exactly that. Our talented legal team has years of experience representing clients just like you – clients who were victims of unexpected accidents, and who felt overwhelmed and unsure what steps to take next. We are proud of our excellent record of successfully fighting for those clients, so they could recover and move forward toward a better and brighter chapter ahead. We would be honored to have the opportunity to do the same for you. If you’re ready to get started, we’re here to help. Call us any time. We look forward to speaking with you soon.